The benefits that running can give to people extend beyond the physical. In fact, running can help a person both physically and emotionally. Today, running has become a part of people’s healthy lifestyles with countless of people getting up early in the morning before work, or even before they go to sleep. But when running, one should also be wary of the risks and dangers that the road may present.
Here is a simple guide to help runners stay safe while running.
- Make your absence known. When running, make sure you let people know what you are doing and where you are planning to run. Also make sure to tell them how long you plan to be running so that your loved ones will know when to come looking for you in the case you don’t arrive home on time.
- Make sure you are able to identify yourself. Bring with you a valid identification in the form of proper IDs and never ever forget to bring your phone so that you’d be able to call the right people in case there is an emergency.
- Consider yourself invisible. Don’t assume people, especially drivers, can see you all the time. In fact, you should consider yourself invisible because by doing so, you would be able to act accordingly and behaved as you go along with your running.
- Face incoming traffic. It would be easier to run and avoid danger when you see the cars coming towards you. That way, you would be able to react properly and immediately.
- When the traffic gets too heavy, you should be able to adjust yourself to running on the sidewalk or the shoulder of the road.
- Avoid deafness. As much as possible, refrain from plugging music into your ears or wearing headphones so that you’d be able to hear the vehicles around you.
- Wear the right gear. Wearing the proper gear can help you move easier and even protect you. Make sure to wear premium sportswear because quality is important and effectiveness can be ensured.
- Try to be noticeable. Yes, you are invisible, but that should not prevent you from trying to become more noticeable by wearing reflective outfits. Reflective outfits help increase your visibility and that way, could lessen the likelihood of accidents.